Saturday, August 10, 2013

Foreseeable Problems with Internet Security

This article by the MIT Technology Review, discusses the daunting idea that with the advancements in mathematics that it is possible for the discrete logarithm problem that secures RSA and Diffie-Hellman encryption to be broken. Many researchers believe that within a few years it is possible for the algorithm to be found and if that is the case then these two previously mention encryption techniques will be broken. RSA and Diffie-Hellman are used by many companies to guard serious financial and person information. If these encryption are broken then access to online banking accounts, and etc. would be viewable and cause major security issues. This makes me a little warry of having online banking.

One thing my mom and I differ on is how we do our banking. She does everything the old school way, while I use online banking. My mom told me she didn't want to use online banking because she wondered if someone could break the security measures put in place. I told her that was very unlikely, but after reading this article it makes me feel vulnerable and realize how reliant most people are on these encryption methods and that a lot of people don't realize they could be broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment